All IFFB pro are on steroids. I don’t know anybody who thinks you can get as big as Cutler, Coleman, Heath or even the guy placing lasts at the Mr Olympia without the use of steroids. What is the point of this article? And Reeves is from another era where conditioning wasn’t as important. You can get much better results naturally in terms of conditioning than he did. Most natural bodybuilders for instance at the WNBF are more ripped than even Arnold was. But of course when it comes down to size it’s a different issue.
I have to agree that the only valid point is the first one. The other points would be negligible at best and certainly not affect a high level natural bodybuilder. Body builders eat often but not such obscene amounts of food at a time that would make their stomachs protrude chronically. Heavy lifting also just doesn’t make your stomach stick out like these guys either. Maybe genetics could play a roll but I really doubt that too, particularly with the pros. Make no mistake at all, bodybuilders with stomachs like this are on or were HGH and/or insulin injections,.
• People copy the dietary practices of pro bodybuilders on androgens. Steroids enable you to assimilate far more protein than you’d normally could.
• People based their recommendations on the flawed nitrogen balance studies back from when the world was still flat.
• The more is better heuristic. There are so many studies showing protein is good for you, it’s hard not to think more of it is even better.
• Supplement companies have an obvious financial incentive to make you want to believe you need more protein than you really do. There are actually several industry-sponsored studies showing absolutely miraculous benefits of consuming more protein (see for example the studies by Cribb).
• People can’t be bothered with decimals and just round up to the nearest convenient integer, which so happens to be an easy to remember 1.